- 1 lb Italian sausage, crumbled (I used 1/2 hot and 1/2 mild)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can pizza sauce (make sure it contain no sugar)
- 1/2 c roasted red peppers
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- couple leaves of basil
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1. Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- 2. In a saute pan brown the sausage, along with the onions & garlic. While that's going, cut the top and ends of the squash off and peel it. Split it into 1/4's (where the squash starts to turn bulbous, cut it in 1/2, width-wise. Split those two halves in half, lengthwise). This will make it much easier to cut into planks. Pull out the seeds. Slice the squash into 1/8" planks.
- 3. Make the sauce by pureeing the pizza sauce, red peppers, olive oil and basil. (a blender works great)
- 4. Using a 9x9-inch oven-safe baking dish, put down enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom of the dish. (This keeps the squash from sticking to the pan.) Next add the squash, trying not to overlap the pieces, then spoon on the sausage mixture, followed by the sauce. Repeat until all your ingredients are used up, trying to reserve enough sauce to cover the top of the lasagna.
- 5. Bake for 45 minutes. You're looking for a bubbly pan with a crispy, browned top. Right out of the oven, the lasagna may by liquidy, let it set for a good half hour before cutting into it, as it will solidify.